Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The New World Order without Hulk Hogan

Barack Obama was just elected President of the United States, and right now I’m thinking about LMJ in 15 years when she says, “so”, because it won’t be a big deal to her. “Yeah he was black. So is President Rice.” This is a “Where were you when,” moment in history. I was in my house on Oak Street in my PJ's. It’s the first good historical moment that I’ve personally experienced. I remember Ronald Reagan getting shot. I remember the Challenger exploding. I remember 9/11. Strangely, I feel pretty much the same way tonight that I did when the other events happened, with the exception of 9/11, which my brain couldn’t process. I remember Eddie Murphy joking about Jesse Jackson running – literally and figuratively – in 1984, worrying about someone shooting him if he won. I don’t worry about that with President Obama – PRESIDENT OBAMA (technically President Elect but right now it feels good to write it). Strangely enough, President Bush’s (W minus 75 days) draconian agenda is going to keep President Obama safe. Wire tapping Middle America is no longer just easy, it’s also legal. I don’t think the right wing Rambo wannabes thinking about gearing up to take the country back really have the stomach for a stay at Fort Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. Those t-shirts aren’t so funny anymore are they Rush Limbaugh fan? I’ll put my money on the Secret Service. Catch one Neo-Nazi; you catch ‘em all. When I think about it, W made all of this possible. If he wasn’t the worst President since Ulysses S. Grant there is no way Joe Sixpack would vote for a non-white candidate. If W had gotten 9/11 right, or the economy right, or Katrina right, or The War on Terror right, or education right John McCain would be President. Even if he ran the ridiculous campaign that he ran.

The celebrating is over. You have 175 days (W minus 75 then your first 100)to get your s**t straight Mr. President Elect. Barack Obama is not going to be a good President. He’s either going to be FDR – we hope – or Jimmy Carter – we hope not.

A few pieces of advice:

· KEEP HILARY CLINTON OUT OF THE LINE OF SUCCESSION AT ALL COSTS.
· Unite the country. Reach out to the Republicans in Congress and make sure their minority voice is considered.
· Stop running for office and govern

Because I will vote for Mitt Romney in 2012 if you suck.

4 comments:

MJ said...

Thanks for commemorating the day--a happy one in history.

JSG said...

Yes, we can thank W for his extreme suckage. I hope we live to see the day that our kids call this no big deal.

By what standard shall we measure President Obama's governing? Digging out of this hole is a challenge few have ever faced. If it doesn't work out and you vote for Romney in 2012, I'd forgive you, but a vote for Palin would render you "dead to me."

EJG said...

I'm proud that it was my party that made history.

As with the Americans who voted for Nixon in 1960, I feel bad for those who will have to tell their grand kids, "No... I voted for the other guy".

Christina said...

Landmark moment! Hopefully the "haters" will get a grip because I am already sick of seeing/hearing "I'm scared" or "I am building a bomb shelter" or "I can't believe we elected a black man."

Maybe if I whoop their asses, it won't be a hate crime if they happen to die!