Monday, March 10, 2008

Better Luck Next Year

I can’t decide if skipping this year’s River Run was a good choice or not. I’m glad I didn’t because I could have died, and even if I didn’t die I still would have been pissed at my time. On the other hand, I could have run it and gotten a new t-shirt and medal and let go of my ridiculous athlete fantasies. It’s not like I’m going to win the freaking thing. I am certain that this is all LMJ’s fault. I had no idea how much energy she would take. I expected to have to streamline my schedule, but when I do have the time to exercise I don’t have the energy, especially for running.

Running sucks. A chick named Deena Drossin won the women’s division and was the first runner to pass us at the south side base of the Main Street Bridge. She didn’t look happy to be there and she was winning, which is further evidence that there is no such thing as a runner’s high. Being finished with a run is great, but it’s all relative. Everybody feels good when the pain stops.

I’m done bitching and moaning and whining, and I’m goaling. I’m just extending my 2008 goals into 2009. I want to finish the 2009 Gate River Run in under an hour. This year, however, I’m adding goals for MJ. By River Run time next year she will be able to run 1 mile in under ten minutes (bonus if she can do it without complaining) and she will be able to either bench press her own bodyweight or do 100 pushups – and I don’t mean the Good Humor tasty treat. Another goal I have for myself is to run a minimum of ten races. They’re fun, they’re healthy, and they’re a good family activity, so there’s no reason not to run at least one a month. I just registered for the 10k St. Patty’s Day Run next Sunday.

2 comments:

MJ said...

I love this post just for its optimism, which we don't get very much from LJ. I also love the commitment to racing and the goals for me. (Yeah, the part about me is always my favorite!) I'll do my best but I'm pretty sure there will be some whining.

I just want you to be happy. Sometimes, exercise can get you there. I'll be cheering for you every race.

JSG said...

Hooray - welcome back to the races.

MJ is a better woman than I. If EJG set goals for me he'd be setting another goal for himself - recovering from the smackdown I'd lay down on him.

I must warn you - the 10K is in the cemetery!!!