Friday, February 22, 2008

Rickson By Armbar

MJ is an internet bulletin board lurker. She peruses a baby related board but never comments. I’m a post whore, especially if posts are tallied and displayed. I’ll comment on a Russian board discussing the degradation of the Russian language as technology progresses. I’m pretty sure the Russian word for gigabyte is gigabyte. I’m also pretty sure their alphabet is Cyrillic; therefore I am qualified to give my two rubles. None of this has much to do with what I’m trying to write about, which is the different natures of MJ’s favorite board and mine. Her May2007 babies board is helpful, supportive, and never ever mocking. My favorite board, Sherdog.net, is where intellect goes to die. My board is made up of mostly fifteen year old boys trying to pass themselves off as twenty-something soon to be professional fighters. Lots and lots of bar fights, but no cops or guns or buddies jumping in. Posters on MJ’s board have unraveled the mystery of then and than. Posters on my board still struggle with the difference between granite and granted (I SWEAR TO GOD). I regularly see sentences like, “Granite, Randy Couture beat Tim Sylvia, but he still didn’t deserve the title shot in the first place.” On my board the best way to respectfully disagree with someone’s opinion is to suggest that they kill themselves. “Your(sp) an idiot. Randy Couture is the man. You should Benoit yourself.” Chris Benoit was the professional wrestler who killed his family and then himself. Basically, Sherdog.net is like the British House of Commons but with bad grammar. Sometimes I want to go onto MJ’s board and troll aka start stuff for the sake of starting stuff, but she won’t let me. I want to write that I find breastfeeding in public offensive and it should be a fifty dollar fine. I’m sure that would start a lively discussion. What’s refreshing is that there’s an entire chatroom within sherdog dedicated to politics. Some of these people vote, which explains some things. I think everyone should take a look at sherdog.net’s Heavyweights section, and see that maybe Al Gore was wrong. Maybe internet access shouldn’t be available to everyone.

3 comments:

Cora Spondence said...

"Basically, Sherdog.net is like the British House of Commons but with bad grammar," is the funniest thing I've heard this week right up there with why JSG nominated Antonio Banderas for stamphood. To steal a line from a classic holiday movie, I triple dog dare you to start a tussle about breast feeding in public. If you do, you'll become the Jerry Springer of board lurkers (and my personal hero).

MJ said...

LJ gives lots of credit to the board where I lurk. Hey, it's all moms of babies the same age. I just want to make sureother moms are having the same problems (and joys) but I don't have time to tell my whole story. I'm a WOHM who works hard to make sure her LO STTN and is EBF.

JSG said...

Posters on my board still struggle with the difference between granite and granted (I SWEAR TO GOD). Killing me!

For LJ it's the 15 year old mutants. For MJ it's the mom board. You've inspired me to find a like minded group... maybe a board full of Tortise-Clydesdale runners with a weak spot for good Chinese food, musical theater, and NFL football. That'll be easy.