Friday, May 23, 2008

No Boundaries

I’m being forced to write this. Blogging is so 2007. I haven’t been writing because I’m in a rut. Nothing cool is happening outside of my daughter’s development, but I’m not going to write about that all of the time because I’m not a chick. So this will be about the change in my running music. What seems to work best for me is neo-classical electric guitar aka shredders like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, and my new discovery Michael Angelo Batio. None of this stuff is any good. It’s all contrived; nothing but arpeggios up and down pre-selected scales played as fast and clean as possible. It’s a display of supreme dexterity and nothing else. What’s funny is that all of these guys list Jimi Hendrix as their main influence, yet nothing they do is spontaneous, and Hendrix was nothing but spontaneous. But there are about two hours of stuff that I like and the mix of light speed licks and slow rhythms works to keep the feet moving. I’ve been running to it for about a month and it hasn’t gotten old. I don’t even have to randomize it.

Battlestar Galactica is the greatest show ever.

2 comments:

JSG said...

2007 wasn't such a bad year, blogging notwithstanding.

The iPod is the essential running accessory, and I understand the joy of finding just the right thing.

Beth said...

It's about time! Give some links to the music you're talking about so I can hear it. And how do you know so much about music, anyway?