Friday, April 13, 2007

Conundrum

I’m at a workout crossroads. I have running goals and I have strength goals. My running progress is way ahead of schedule. I ran six miles in under thirty-five minutes last week. However, my strength goals are behind schedule, and so I made a change this week. I was hitting the gym four times a week doing both lifting and running. This week I’ve split them up. I did weights Monday thru Thursday and I’m going on long runs on Friday and Saturday. I’ve gotten stronger but I’ve gained six pounds. Six pounds in a week is a bit much. I’m eating clean, but still. And I don’t really know if it’s the new program or the fact that I’m more rested. I don’t want to do the bodybuilder thing where I gain a whole bunch of weight as I build muscle and then have to burn off the excess fat by changing my diet. I don’t like being hungry, and no one else likes me hungry either – I’m sure MJ could write an entire post about the schizophrenic dichotomy between me with a full stomach and an empty one. On the other hand I know this program will work. Therein lays the conundrum. Do I get all bloated and go back to my fat clothes in order to bench press 225 lbs. 25 times as quickly as possible or do I continue to do it the hard way and possibly fall short of my goal? Which aspect of my vanity should I appeal to? Comments are appreciated.

3 comments:

MJ said...

You already know how I feel. You've been happier thinner than when you were stronger.

cj said...

I just watched ABC morning show. It sounded like an info commercial for Jim Karas,author,"The Cardio-Free Diet," according to him, cardiovascular exercise alone won't help you lose weight and keep it off. He says that instead of spending an hour running on a treadmill five times a week, you should learn how to perform strength training exercises for twenty minutes a day, three times a week. But you do have to cut calories. Maybe we should both give up cardio?? I can't give up banana pudding tho. This segment was followed by Paula Dean.

JSG said...

Lighter people run faster. I read that in the "Complete Idiot's Guide to Running."