Sunday, April 1, 2007

Meme Thursday: My Maserati goes 185

I don’t do middle ground. I’m an extremist. If I’m interested in something then I tend to go all out and do it as well as I possibly can. If I’m not interested then it tends not to matter to me in the least. And since I hit my mid-twenties it has become more and more difficult for other people to influence what interests me. I think this has led me to living my life almost exactly the way I want to live my life. I have my family and my friends. I live in a sub tropical cul du sac that is hurricane resistant. What more do I need? The only thing that I would change about my life is my interest in my job. My job bores me, yet it fits my needs right now. If I could get really focused on my practice for five years I could retire at forty-one. Which seems appealing to me, but it’s abstract. Nothing would really change. I would have more stuff, and stuff doesn’t motivate me. Also, I don’t like the people I work with who are focused on their practices. Two of the heaviest hitters in Jacksonville work in my office. They’re miserable people. They scream at their assistants. They cheat on their trophy wives. I don’t understand having no need for money yet allowing money to control one’s life. On one hand, I count my blessings everyday. On the other hand I sometimes find myself waiting for the other shoe to drop. (Economist in the house!) Focusing on my career is my jihad right now. Everything else in my life is biscuits and gravy. And if you ain’t down with some biscuits and gravy, you may want to reassess exactly what’s important in your life.

No comments: