Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Billy Joel Sucks

About a month ago a local high school football coach, J.D. Hall, dropped dead from a heart attack. Normally I wouldn’t think twice about it but I went to school with him. He was a year behind me at Robert E. Lee Senior High School (Go Generals!). I was class of ’88; he was class of '89 . He wasn’t a close friend. He was barely more than an acquaintance, but sitting here at 3:30 in the morning reading a crappy Times-Union column about him, his death is hitting me kind of hard. Maybe it’s because I remember the columnist occasionally lifting with us in the afternoon of my senior and J.D.’s junior year. I was the hard case knucklehead counting down the last 180 days of my sentence. J.D. was the star quarterback. The only way to describe him is he was a hell of a nice guy, which is a consensus. The next guy with a bad word about J.D. will be the first guy with a bad word about J.D. We all encounter a few people like this in our lives, people you just hope good things for. The anecdotal/speculative cause of death was that he worked himself to death. What the hell for? He was thirty-five years old. Maybe we just had different perspectives. I grew up the petulant middle class kid whom the world owed things. J.D. was a poor kid who had to be focused from day one just to escape the ghetto. Right now as my life is beginning to take form and I can see the real possibility of a near fairy tale existence my worst fear is that I die at work when I could have been spending time with my family and friends. Nobody in the history of the world has ever been on their death bed wishing they had spent more time at the office. I don’t know if only the good die young, but sadly J.D. Hall sure did.

2 comments:

JSG said...

For a great writer and a helluva guy, you really suck sometimes. Here I am, getting ready to start a day of work, here in San Diego, trying to focus and prepare, and you've got me crying for home, my fairytale, thousands of miles away.

I've seen the t-shirt,"Life Sucks, and then You Die." Well, the second part has to be true, but maybe not the first. As long as we remember to enjoy our own fairytale while we're living it.

My condolonces on the passing of your acquaintance.

My thanks for you using this opportunity to remind the living to live.

Anonymous said...

The second worst thing after the death of a child is the death of someone you know who is your age or younger. When I would say to my grandmother, "I have to...," she would remind me that "the only thing you have to do is die."

We all must die. Often, dying young spares us some defeats and heartbreaks. One of my favorite pieces of new age advice is to live each day as though you will live forever and as though you will die tomorrow.