Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Print or Die!!!

I rolled into my office this morning at 6:55 a.m. I had about twenty minutes of paperwork to do, and then I was headed to the gym to blast the crap out of my delts. I left my office at 10:00 a.m. I hate printers. Why can't they just print? 90% of the stuff I am forced to print is in a pdf format, and for some reason the printers like to play games with pdf files. They print each page as its own document and then pause. It's a quirky idiosyncrasy when I only need two or three pages printed, but I was printing life insurance illustrations and applications. It was for a couple so there was two of everything plus one joint application and policy. Our office printers aren't your run-of-the-mill inkjets. They're diesel powered giga-printers. They spit out word documents like a wood chipper spits out mulch, but Word isn't as web friendly as Adobe Acrobat so nobody uses Word. I spent three hours doing twenty minutes of work, and I missed my workout. I can't hit my shoulders until Saturday.




Fortunately, I was able to take out some of my agression on John. John is the pumpkin I carved for Halloween -- my first. Carving the pumpkin is one of the many new duties that have become mine as a new dad. MJ dressed up as a sexy witch. It wasn't the look she was going for, but she just can't help it. LMJ dressed up as a mermaid. And I dressed up as a knife wielding knegro -- a sexy one, I can't help it. I don't know why we didn't get many trick or treaters? I call the Jack O'Lantern John because only his friends call him Jack, and he doesn't have any friends. It was supposed to be a cautionary tale for the trick or treating youngtsters, but it's something better said than written. Kind of like, "The Force is with you young Skywalker, but you are not a Jedi yet." That's only special because of James Earl Jones and Dolby sound. Charles Nelson Reilly couldn't pull it off. I did a much better job on John than I expected to. I assumed that precision stabbing required some skill but it doesn't. Not like hacking up the corpse of a Wendy's drive-thru guy who gave you Diet Coke instead of Mr. Pibb like you asked, and getting it to fit inside a suitcase. We all know how much work that can be. I used the Lucy van Pelt method of outlining where I wanted to cut and commenced to carving with a big carving knife. Pumpkins are a big waste of space. What's the point of a hollow fruit? I am looking forward to next year though because I'm going to have a 17 1/2 month old assistant, and yeah she gets to handle the knife.

3 comments:

MJ said...

Lucy Van Pelt had awesome technique. When I saw your Jack O'Lantern, my comment was "That's very Charles Schultz." It was a good pumpkin.

For the record, other people today called me an old-fashioned witch, or a Victorian witch. You were the only one to call me a sexy witch. It's better than being a tavern wench on purpose--and yes, that's an actual costume.

Cora Spondence said...

It's very chica chica bow wow (note the extended inflection on that last wow)that you call your wife and mother of your child a sexy witch. Very McMillan and Wife. And John has a definite look of either mocking repugnance or charmed ignorance. I sometimes get the two mixed up. Either way it's very superfly for a pumpkin.

JSG said...

Was it John or the knife weilding "knegro" that kept the trick-or-treaters at a distance?

Yes, PDF docs kick my ass too. Sorry to hear about the delts.