Friday, January 25, 2008

I Was Going Into Tashi Station to Pick Up Some Power Converters

I want to apologize for the negative tone of this post in advance. Whoever decided on the 1001 movies people should see before they die has upset me. I understand that I’m a Sci-fi geek, and that just because I like it doesn’t necessarily mean it’s good. I don’t have a problem with The 5th Element not being on the list. It’s a stupid niche film that I happen to like. I shifted uncomfortably in my seat when Blade Runner didn’t make the list, but I know that oversights can happen, and there needs to be room for The Aviator and Far from Heaven. I think people should be sodomized with a chainsaw when none of the Star Wars movies make the list, and by Star Wars movies I mean Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi. That other stuff didn’t really happen. Star Wars just revolutionized filmmaking and won a bunch of Oscars (zero of them were for acting). It was just the launching point for the most bankable movie star ever, Harrison Ford (Raiders of the Lost Ark didn’t make it either). Why see The Empire Strikes Back when you could see Gallipoli or The Blair Witch Project? How does Star Wars get skipped? Didn’t they have an editor or some type of review board to stop this crap from happening?
I started looking at the list to help broaden my horizons. I can only watch Smokey and the Bandit so many times. I was prepared to give movies like Annie Hall and Breakfast at Tiffany’s a look in the spirit of open mindedness, but not now. Now Woody Allen goes back to being the guy who slept with his nanny and Audrey Hepburn goes back to not being Katherine. It’s not just the omission of Star Wars that makes me hate these people. It’s their incompetence. How do you put The Good, The Bad and The Ugly on your list but leave off A Fist Full of Dollars and For a Few Dollars More. You can’t put part three of a trilogy on a great movie list without parts one and two. This is why the standard for justifiable homicide needs to be they needed killin’.

(Big Up’s to me for not going on a diatribe about the myriad ways Star Wars is the greatest thing ever)

3 comments:

Cora Spondence said...

Speak on it!! The Blair Witch Project was on the list and NOT Star Wars?????? NOT Blade Runner???? (Do I have to go into that particular rant yet again??????)Obviously, the people who made this list were mentally challenged and they should be pitied for their limited perpective regarding modern film. We understand movies and those people have brains the size of a lentil. Accept it and start making your own list for publication. It's the only way to stop the madness.

DiaBelo said...

I guess it goes without saying that Liquid Sky didn't make the cut either.

MJ said...

I'm not as big a fan as you and I'm surprised that Star Wars was left off the list.

Where's the link? Are my favorites on there?