Friday, January 18, 2008

A Review of My '07 Goals

I posted some goals last March right after the River Run. #1 isn't happening. I still plan on improving my time in the race but an hour and a half is much more realistic. If I was going to finish it in under an hour I would need to weigh about 180lbs. This morning I weighed 230.5 lbs. (Damned Swedish Meatballs) I'm going to try to get under 210lbs before the race, which shouldn't be a problem, and shoot for a sub-one hour River Run in '09. The reasons I failed goal 1 are the same reasons I can cross goal 2 off my to-do list. It got cold outside. I stopped running. I kept eating. I got strong like bull. Tuesday I benched 225lbs. 26 times - legit - none of those chicken bleep half reps that I see guys doing, trying to pad their stats. It was bittersweet. I'm stronger than I've ever been before, but I'm also as strong as I'll ever be - most likely. I accomplished one goal, but at the direct expense of the other, and my success is fleeting. I don't have the time or the deep desire to be as strong as I am and weigh 180lbs. It's not physically impossible, but with my current muscualture I would have to walk around at under 3% body fat. I'll choose cheeseburgers and beer over washboard abs all day everyday. I already tricked MJ into marrying me; what possible use could I have for rippling stomach muscles?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you had had a crystal ball instead of a time machine, you would have known that you wouldn't be benching and running. You'd be rocking and bouncing a twenty-pound perpetual motion machine. Surprisingly, no weight loss under your current fatherhood plan.

JSG said...

Rippling stomach muscles - even I have them - in there- somewhere.
9.3 miles under ten minutes per mile is quite impressive.