Monday, February 4, 2008

More Politics

Beth has inspired this post with her most recent post. I will try not to melt down, but I’m not making any promises. Beth wrote about the hypocrisy of the conservative/Republican rhetoric. I don’t know if their stance is really hypocritical or if it is just short-sighted – or are they the same thing? One example that confuses me is their stance on abortion: it is evil in every instance and must be made illegal. I won’t get into why that can’t happen logistically and how they’ve forgotten the nightmare of coat hangers and back alley butchers. They seem obsessed with the well being of a fetus but the instant the umbilical cord is cut it’s, “Hey, not my problem. You got yourself into this mess.” My mom thinks it’s misogyny, pure and simple, and it’s hard to refute that argument, but I honestly don’t think they make the connection between the two issues. I think it’s two different groups of conservatives with not as much overlap as one would think. On the one hand there is the social conservative and on the other there is the fiscal conservative. The social conservative is completely insane. They honestly want to control sex – the strongest drive in the natural world. The fiscal conservative just doesn’t want to pay for anything, ever. When you combine the two you get a special kind of crazy. You get either George W. Bush or Ron Paul. My favorite thing about George W. Bush is that he was the worst President in 130 years and the U.S. is still the best place to live in the world by far. My favorite thing about Ron Paul is that he wants to cut taxes across the board, and at the same time, he wants to round up all 10 to 20 million illegal aliens and ship them back where they came from. Marinate on that for a moment. Seriously, take a moment and think about the grand scale of Dr. Paul's "Round 'em Up" scheme and how he wants to do it on the cheap. That’s short-sighted more than hypocritical isn’t it? I don't think he is saying things just to get elected. Since he has as much chance of winning the election as Rosie O’Donnell, why would he pander to anyone? I think he’s your typical conservative trying to deal with one problem at a time and not even realizing that there is a big picture. I just can’t see myself ever voting for a conservative for President. I’m still not voting for a Democrat out of spite. Which is how we arrive at the Dick Cheney decision, but he’s not a conservative he’s a Fascist – big difference.

1 comment:

Beth said...

You make some very lucid and valid points, LJ, as always. And thanks for your nice comments on my post. You made my day!