Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Semper Fidelis

The family went to the airshow Sunday. It FREAKING rocked. The sound of fighter planes is awesome - old school wrath of God definition. This is the first one we’ve been to since the War on Terror began, and it made me feel differently than the simple carnival the airshow was when we weren’t at war. Back then it was easy to push aside the fact that these are killing machines, and see them as very loud acrobats. Sunday, I was a ball of emotion. I was excited by the precision of what the Blue Angels were doing, and comforted that these guys’ protect our ground forces, making sure more of our soldiers come home. At the same time I imagined how terrifying and frustrating the constant roar of these jets must be when you’re on the other side.

I looked around a lot. I saw a microcosm of what I was just talking about in the Marines playing usher, not letting anyone into certain areas of the flight line. One of them was 19. He’s been a marine for a grand total of seven months. It’s physically impossible for anyone to look more like a Midwestern farm boy than Lance Corporal McLaughlin did. He was talking to some of the crowd about what it’s like to be in the Marines, sounding like the doofus 19 year old kid that he is – just be where you’re ‘sposed to be when your ‘sposed to be there, and it’s not that hard. Then someone tried to ignore the big orange cones, the young Marine, and his side arm, and walk across the restricted area. In the space of a breath John Boy disappeared and Corporal McLaughlin showed up leaving no doubt that walking into the restricted area was an actual rule and not just a guideline. On the one hand I wish this kid could be in college, getting drunk and chasing girls, without the pressure of knowing he might be called on to kill or be killed on a whim. On the other hand that’s what he does, and I’m sure he finds time to chase girls. I’ve known only a handful of Marines, but they all agree it’s the best thing they’ve ever done. At the end of the show I wished that I had joined the Marines. But then I remembered that being where I’m ‘sposed to be when I’m ‘sposed to be there has never really been my thing. Thank God for the fighting men and women of the US Armed Forces. If I had to defend the country when would I find time to blog?

3 comments:

Christina said...

It sounds like you all had a great time. I too am thankful for our fellow soldiers, they do good stuff!

JSG said...

Don't like airshows, but I loved, loved, loved your post. It is possible to be patriotic and grateful without spewing cliches. Thanks, LJ.

MJ said...

True to another recent post, you'll find the picture for this post on my blog.