Thursday, May 10, 2007

Buffett, Hiaasen, and Me

I’m out early today, and what a beautiful, tropical morning it is. I had some errands to run before I hit the gym and I wasn’t real happy about them. I can’t stand running around like a chicken with its head cut off and not really accomplishing anything. I finished my errands, and I was listening to a sports talk radio program as I tried to navigate through rush hour traffic. My frustration was starting to build as I stopped at an intersection whose traffic light synchronization wasn’t synchronized. I was headed southwest, and the sun rose above a building and shone through a palm tree over my shoulder. I turned and immediately wished I’d had a camera – it was a postcard. My windows were down and I could smell the it-just-finished-raining morning air. Words can’t really express a good Florida morning moment. Millions of people pay billions of dollars and travel from everywhere in the world for them each year. I had a 180° turn around in my outlook for the day. Sometimes I have to take a minute and remind myself that dealing with traffic and stupidity on the radio are some of my bigger problems in life, so I might just want to quit my sniveling and mix in a little gratitude.

2 comments:

MJ said...

What an OP moment...I'm glad your day turned around.

JSG said...

You really are a sentimental guy when you're not blogging about lifting the weight of a minibus or pounding the life out of the unsuspecting adolescent wooer of your soon-to-be-born daughter.