Wednesday, May 9, 2007

When Can I Join AARP?

Yesterday I ran outside. We all went down to the YMCA track, MJ, CG, KT, and I, and enjoyed the outdoors for the first time in a while. MJ didn’t run she walked. She had some excuse about being 37 ½ weeks pregnant or something. I wasn’t really interested in, what I feel is, her lack of commitment to her training. Yesterday was leg day so they were pre-fatigued and it was a still a little smoky out so I ran at a reduced pace. I was still the fastest one around the track. I forgot that running is hard. It’s not comfortable in the least. But it is a good way to burn some calories, work up a sweat, and get the endorphins going. Exercise outside is the best mood elevator I know of.

The next day is something different. My legs hurt like a bastard. If I sit for too long the lactic acid has a chance to build up, but I can’t stand all day because my legs are tired. I’m coming to the realization that I may be sore for the rest of my life. When I was a teenager I could hit each body part twice a week with no ill effects in addition to playing three or four hours of whatever sport was in season. Now that I’m in my thirties I can’t hit a body part more than once a week without tearing down the muscle, which is bad. But I also have to hit each body part once a week or I’ll be sore the following day(s) – 7 days of rest minimum, 8 days results in soreness. This wouldn’t be a big deal if life didn’t get in the way of training, but it does. If I have an early meeting on any day other than my rest day the schedule is screwed, and I’m going to be sore for a week because everything gets pushed back. I could solve this but MJ has a problem with me doing steroids. Apparently, anabolic steroids are illegal and there are negative long term health consequences. Who knew? The leg soreness is the only soreness that actually interferes with my daily routine. Unfortunately, we use our legs for just about everything. I hate walking around looking like my hemorrhoids are flaring up. It takes about a ¼ of a mile for me to get warmed up. I’m like a ’72 Coup de Ville in January – Big Daddy needs to idle for a bit. Oh well, getting old is better than the alternative.

1 comment:

JSG said...

Illegal, schmellegal. If it makes me get faster faster, I'm in too. Hook me up.
As to the sweet irony of pain - work out too much = pain. Take off too long = pain. I really miss the sofa spud days.