Thursday, September 10, 2009

Frakkin' BSG

I got home from work today and found LMJ and Grammy sleeping and a copy of Battlestar Galactica: Caprica waiting on the table – a perfect storm. I didn’t even set up my computer. I immediately ripped open the envelope and fired up the DVD player. Caprica is an origin story about where the Cylons came from – this time. I thought it was going to be an allegory about the pitfalls of man playing God, and it was, but not in the way I expected. I thought it was going to simply be about power and greed, and doing something just because it can be done. Instead it was about loss and desperation, the desperation of fathers losing daughters. Caprica made me think about what I would do to hold on to MJ and LMJ if they were blown up on a commuter train. It was also about the nature of religion and its absurdity, which they tied nicely in to the main BSG story. There was an “oh, OH” moment. I shouldn’t have been surprised that I was surprised, and that I had no idea where anything was going. That’s what the people who write this stuff do. I never thought about how ridiculous the absolutism of monotheism would seem to a polytheistic society. The only thing I didn’t like was the racism and assimilation angle. I never expected, or wanted, the BSG universe to be the Utopia of the Star Treks but one of the things I loved about the main show was that race and gender weren’t issues. Everything was personal. There was a lot of stuff they can’t show on basic cable so I don’t know if they plan on cleaning it up and releasing it as a series. I’m BSG starved and I wouldn’t mind them taking us all the way up to the first nukes being dropped to tie everything up with a nice little bow. Now I get to sit and wait for Battlestar Galactica: The Plan, which tells the main story from the Cylons point of view.

1 comment:

MJ said...

Even though I don't watch BSG, I can appreciate what it is to really look forward to a good show or movie. It doesn't happen that often anymore.