Sunday, September 27, 2009

Go Jags or Taking Money Out Of My Sister's Pocket

My pro football day today was much different than my college football day yesterday. The Jaguars were on the road, in Houston, so I was able to watch them on television. The Jags had a few of their habitual screw ups – they fumbled the ball on their side of the field late in the fourth quarter – but David Garrard and Maurice Jones-Drew played very well. Garrard managed the game while MoJo made big plays and put points on the board. It was a back and forth game with very little defense, and my heart was in my throat the entire time. Mike Sims-Walker has played well the last two games, with the exception of his fourth quarter fumble this afternoon. I don’t know if he’s forgotten that he’s a Jacksonville Jaguars wide receiver or what, but he’s getting open, catching the ball, and running with it. I hope it’s not just a matter of time before he’s picked up for DUI or punching his girlfriend in the face. The Jaguars are second only to the Cincinnati Bengals in players arrested over the last five years. Thanks Jimmy Smith and Matt Jones and Reggie Williams and all the others. Way to represent the city. I forgot the best one! Kahlif Barnes got arrested at the bottom of an off ramp because he passed out fell asleep while waiting for the light to turn green. He failed the breathalyzer and field sobriety test. But that’s all negative stuff and this post is all about accentuating the positive. David Garrard didn’t get sacked a single time today, and the Texans have a very good pass rush. He also didn’t throw an interception. If Sims-Walker is actually becoming a good receiver, the Jaguars may win more games this year than they lose. Unfortunately, that may hurt them in the Tim Tebow sweepstakes (I’m still looking for that emoticon), and I was going to refer Jack del Rio to my sister, but he may get to keep his job and not need to sell his house.