Saturday, September 12, 2009

Off Schedule Saturday

LMJ decided sleep wasn’t really all it’s cracked up to be and was awake from about 1:30 until about 4:30 last night. That threw today’s schedule all out of whack. We started the day two hours late but were still one hour short on sleep, at least. She woke up at about 8:30, and if LMJ is awake then everybody needs to be awake. She started telling me to get up, and I told her I wanted to sleep. Six months ago she would have stage whispered, “Quiet, Daddy’s sleeping” in my ear until I got up. Now she tells me that I want to get up.

LJ: Daddy wants to sleep
LMJ: No, you want to get up.

It’s not even like we were talking about the capitol of Brazil or what state Kansas City is in, where there are two perfectly acceptable and perfectly correct answers. It’s like I told her the sun rises in the west. I was 100% wrong; even though I was 100% sure I wanted to stay in bed. I got up and after a discussion about what we should do about breakfast – should we go to Panera and Starbucks or should we eat and make coffee at home – we decided on the cheap route and I barely missed my sausage and egg sandwich. Since we got up so late the day was disappearing rapidly. MJ had work stuff she needed to do and she was all of a sudden in a time crunch. She went off with Grammy to work in her classroom while LMJ and I hung out. We played on a pirate ship and went to Disneyworld, which was all fun and games, but my goal was to get her back on schedule. I won’t lie. I used magic most dark to get her to sleep within her normal nap range, and was proud of myself for doing it. I was watching football by the time MJ got home, but I wasn’t enjoying it at all so I joined LMJ for the last hour of her nap. Naps rule. We woke up and went to Panera for dinner. I ordered poorly, but ate LMJ’s grilled cheese sandwich, which I enjoyed. After dinner the girls went shoe shopping and I watched more college football. I lost my temper when the Seminoles went in to half-time losing to Jacksonville State. Florida State has a $25 million annual football budget. Jacksonville State’s budget is closer to $25. I was so angry I changed the channel and got caught up in The Shawshank Redemption and watched the last ninety minutes of it. FSU managed not to lose the game, and I don’t have to drive to Tallahassee and kill people. But even if I did Stephen King showed me how to get out of prison.

No comments: