Monday, September 14, 2009

Still Back In The Day

I’m watching Monday Night Football and still thinking about what I wrote yesterday. The Patriots and Bills are even wearing throwback uniforms. I loved the Patriots uniforms, but they just don’t seem the same. Maybe it’s because the weather isn’t cold yet or maybe it’s because the prescription turf isn’t really grass and isn’t Astroturf at all.

Side note: Strangely enough if Fred Taylor gets good blocking he puts points on the board. Okay, Jaguars fans good blocking is… never mind. I’m going to stop being bitter. I’m happy that Fred Taylor is most likely going to get to play in a Superbowl and it’s cool seeing him wear number 21 like he did in college. I don’t know who had 21 on the Jaguars back in ’97 but it wasn’t Freddy T. Who scored more touchdowns this year, Fred Taylor or Maurice Jones-Drew?

I’m still trying to figure out why football seems smaller now than it did when I was young. Maybe it was filmed differently back then. I don’t think there were as many wide angles in the ‘70’s because no one would be able to distinguish what was on the screen. Now since everything is filmed, broadcast, and displayed on the screen in digital 1080i high definition the director really can’t do any wrong. The football was also scarce. There was no ESPN or cable, let alone the interwebs. I couldn’t force feed myself football 24 hours a day every day of the year. It was once a week on Sunday afternoons at my grandmother’s place and then four or five minutes of Monday Night Football that I could see in the reflection of my bedroom window from the television in my parents bedroom. Actually, the MNF memories come from a few years later. It’s so weird how the general feel of being under ten makes everything run together. My grandmother moved in with us when I was six. Now I’m just freaking myself out. I’m breaking the time I spent growing up in D.C. and it was no time at all, but at the same time it was half my life. I’ll write more tomorrow.

No comments: