Saturday, March 10, 2007

The 30th Annual Running of the Gate River Run




I finished my first 15k/9.3m race today. Not to sound too arrogant, but there isn't much in middle class American life that I find truly difficult -- this was. I don't feel good physically. I couldn't feel better mentally. There were 14 thousand other people who ran the race today, and I have have respect for each and every one of them. Congratulations to all the finishers. I want to thank E&J for allowing me to tag along -- not the brandy, but the nice couple pictured above. I ran the race to enjoy it and hang out, not to try to win it. If I hadn't decided to run with them one of two things would have happened: I would have run a sub 1 hour race, or I would have died slowly and painfully. I'm pretty sure the 180 foot high Hart Bridge would have chosen option 2 for me, and that would have been embarrassing. I haven't felt this good about a physical accomplishment since I first dunked a basketball on a legit rim. My next post is going to be my goals for the upcoming year and option 1 is going to be near the top of the list -- it's the testosterone poisoning, there's nothing I can do.

2 comments:

JSG said...

When you cross the finish line in under an hour next year you can wait for us in the back of the limo with the champagne.

LJ said...

I'll wait the 10 minutes with some Donaghy Estates, only the best.