Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Training Day 1

So Denzel asks me to stop by this diner... Training Day get it?

Actually I ran for the first time since the River Run today. I ran from my house to Fishweir Elementary school. It's a roughly 4 mile run through scenic Riverside and Avondale. I ran at the mad dog and Englishman time of 3pm. It was a comfortable 87 degrees(MJ would need earmuffs brrrrrr). Man, do I love Florida. This is the first time I've run this route in about 6 weeks, and I took about 3 minutes off my time. I ran it today in 29:50 at a pretty steady pace -- steady being the operative word. I was still having to slow myself down, which means the pace my body wants to run is nearly ready for next year. All I have to do is improve my cardiovascular endurance. If I can run 5 miles at this pace, which would be under 38 minutes, in March I'll be very happy. We'll know before the weekend is over, and before the hangin' and the bangin' gets added back into the routine.

2 comments:

JSG said...

Were you able to speak in a complete sentence when you were running? Or to sing along with the iPod? I read somewhere that these are tests of cardiovascular endurance. Maybe a heart rate monitor would be a good idea... just to be sure that the ego doesn't go too fast for the valves and the aorta?

LJ said...

No I can't speak or sing when running anything under a 9 minute mile, but I could barely run a 9 minute mile a year ago. I need to be able to sing The National Anthem while running a 6 minute mile. We'll call that fit.