Thursday, March 22, 2007

My Love/Hate Relationship with Squats


I don’t want to do my legs. I was supposed to do them yesterday, but I was able to find excuses not to. I quit weight training my legs about a month ago in favor of additional running as the River Run approached. But the River Run has come and gone, and I need to start blasting my quads again. Squats are sometimes my favorite lift and sometimes the exercise I hate most. Right now I don’t want to do any squats. They hurt. They make me light headed, which is how I know I’m doing them correctly. And since I haven’t done them in a month I will be sore for a minimum of four days. I’ve thought about moving shoulder day up one day and leg day back one day, but that won’t work. It would mean immediately following legs with a back workout. My lower back and hamstrings can’t take that type of abuse anymore. So not only is my procrastination affecting my legs it’s affecting my shoulders. I’m thinking about blaming my wife for all of this. She’s on spring break, and she’s seriously hampering my aggression. Squats require rage. I do them best when I’m worked up into a borderline psychotic frenzy, but she plays The Cure and Bret Denen(sp?), and I enjoy being around her. None of this is conducive to belligerence. So if my legs are skinny it’s MJ’s fault.

1 comment:

JSG said...

Ah - the squat. Assuming the "hover" position as if approaching a public toilet - that's how we ladies are instructed to envision the move. For me, it's not nearly as hateful as its evil cousin, the lunge, don't you think?