Friday, March 16, 2007

Meme Thursday: Am I Organized? Can I Find My Keys?

I am very organized at a strategic level. I know where I'm supposed to be, what I'm supposed to be doing, and how I'm getting there for the next 6 weeks. Tactically, I'm lost. I work on the 29th floor of an office building, and I park on the 6th floor of a garage across the street. I have, on more than one occasion, grabbed everything I need for a presentation, printed my route and sent it to my Blackberry, rode the high speed elevator down 29 floors, rode the rickety POS elevator up six floors (I'm not Catholic but hail Mary full of grace), reached into my pocket for my car keys and came up with lint. This is where the fun part begins. I start by bellowing a 15 second three octave F-bomb that echos in the garage. Then I take the garage elevator down six floors (Our father who art in heaven), the office elevator up 29 floors -- I get a good head rush -- and I find my keys on my desk right next to my cellular. I don't know how to get these ten minutes of my life back

I have a detailed workout plan; running has recently been added. I know what muscles I'm working, how much weight I'm lifting, the number of sets, the number of reps, and the order. I know what I did the last time I hit a muscle group. I don't need a log to help me remember. However I do need something to help me remember my gloves and my iPod. I live and work two miles from my gym. It's tap dead center on my commute route(this may or may not rhyme depending on how one pronounces "route"). I never forget my keys because I can't get out of the house without them. However, I forget my iPod at least twice a week. Sometimes I will remember it as I back out of the driveway. Sometimes I will remember it as I get out of the car at the gym. At which point I get back in the car to go get the iPod -- no iPod, no workout. There is no echo so the F-bomb antic isn't nearly as cathartic. I just leave my gloves in the car. I don't wash them until they start to make my hands itch; the smell doesn't bother me. Yeah it's disgusting, but I can't do deadlifts without gloves. Leaving them in the car may not be personally hygienic, but I'm not wasting gasoline making two trips to the gym. I'm reducing my carbon footprint, and I stink. Wow! I'm a hippy and I didn't even know it. That's an inconvenient truth.

1 comment:

MJ said...

Despite all this, you manage to help me look more organized and efficient everyday. You always help me find my keys, clothes, shoes, and even pack a lunch. Maybe this is why you are tactically challenged yourself: you're doing the job for two. (Thank you...)