Saturday, March 3, 2007

Retro River Run





I just finished the Retro River Run. You can find out all about it here http://www.gate-riverrun.com/. It was a 5k (not mile) so it was short. However, we did go over both the Main Street and the Acosta bridges. I was using this as a tune up to the real deal next week. My instinct was to haul ass (running term) but I knew that wasn't what I needed. I needed to learn how to pace myself so that I'll be able to get over the friggin' huge (engineering term) Hart Bridge. So I got behind this chick that was puttering along, and let her set my pace. She was running about an 11 minute mile, which was frustrating because this was a short race. It's weird running in a race and not pushing myself. I wasn't even breathing hard following her. We ran through downtown, over the Main Street Bridge, through South Bank, to the Acosta Bridge. At the base of the Acosta was the 2 mile marker reading 22m48s. I thought to myself cool I can cruise at this pace all day; I'm ready for next week, so when I get to the top of the bridge I'll let myself go. Which I did, and I finished the course in 30m04s. I ran the last mile in 7m16s, and that was fun. I got pitched on this race back in October by a guy I know who used free beer as a selling point. Free beer, cerveza gratis, 免費啤酒, whatever the language it's music to my ears. I thought the free beer was going to be for the runners only, but no. It was open to anyone who happened to be at the Jacksonville Landing after the race, and there was only one station serving the free Miller Lite. So of course there was a line all the way across the mall. I'm not waiting more than 2 minutes for Miller Lite let alone an hour. It's watered down swill not Splash Mountain. So I rounded up my groupies -- my wife and my mother-in-law -- and we walked from the Landing back to the YMCA where we parked and drove home. This is my second race in two weeks, and I had am having a blast.

5 comments:

MJ said...

We'll have to get better at coordinating our picture opportunities during the race. By the way, I think the beer was still only free to the runners; there were just lots of runners. I was relieved that you passed the "Are you an alcoholic? test." Some people wouldn't have left without the free beer. So, not only are you in great shape, you are not an alcoholic. Congrats!

JSG said...

You may NOT run with us next week. I rescind my offer. 11 minute miles are perfectly respectable thank you. And the only thing these runners race to do in 7 minutes and a few seconds involves hot fudge and soft serve.

We'll see you next week at the finish line...if you don't mind waiting 40 minutes or so

LJ said...

Judabear, 11 minute miles are fantastic in a 15k. In a 5k with free beer at the end maybe we pick up the pace. Plus, this chick was in her 20's and weighed 110lbs. soaking wet, holding a brick.

JSG said...

LJ
I'm disappointed in you. That chick should have been taken out (one less intereference at the free beer table).

LJ said...

I would have taken her out, but I don't think MJ would have been happy about it. Then I'm pretty sure lawyers would get involved, and nobody wants that.