Monday, March 19, 2007

New and Improved Training Regimen


I started my new routine today, which is my old routine plus a 2 mile run to the YMCA and a 2 mile run home. I got to the gym in about 15 minutes, caught my breath, and reintroduced my back to Dark Lord Deadlift. All – and I mean all – back workouts begin with deads. They don’t necessarily have to be done first in the back workout, but if deads aren’t done then the back wasn’t hit. For my money, it’s the best compound movement. It’s natural and I can pile on the plates. I’m too lazy to put on a weight belt so I don’t go super heavy very often, and I was feeling lazy today. Did I mention that I ran to the gym? I also did pull-ups, seated cable rows, and then I did my biceps – upgrading the guns. The arm workout consisted of cambered bar curls, seated dumbbell curls, and hammer curls. I’m keeping it simple; I’m keeping it moving. Then I burned 423 calories on the elliptical machine in 30 minutes. Normally, in my old routine, I would hop on the treadmill and walk for half an hour, but not today. Today is the first – it was almost the last – day of the rest of my life, and I was running home. My heart had other plans. El corozon said, “No, call a cab. Stay here, it’s the Y. I don’t care. We’re not running home.” I had never started a run fatigued. I had no glycogen left. I burnt it up blasting my back like Big Ronnie Coleman. This was the first time I had to shorten my stride just to get started. I wanted to stop from the first step on the trip home. I had to start making deals with my self from the get go – just get to Fidelity, just get to Riverside Avenue, just get to the Cummer, just get to Memorial Park. When I got to Memorial Park my heart seemed to concede that it was easier to just keep going than to stop. I was going to pass a hospital anyway, and that part of Riverside Avenue is a major ambulance conveyance. I don’t know how long it took me to get home. I forgot to look at the clock at the Y before I left. But it wasn’t too long and my heart settled down pretty quickly. I doubt my lower back is going to be agreeable tomorrow morning, but we’re going to try the new routine chest and triceps version.

2 comments:

MJ said...

Wow. That guy in the picture really has what you'd call the runner's physique.

JSG said...

How'd you get a picture of yourself from the back? Did you use a timer or something?