Monday, December 31, 2007

IKEA

WARNING: This is the first of three (3) thrown together at the last minute posts scheduled for today as I need to hit my twenty posts for December.

We went to Ikea in Orlando yesterday and it wasn’t too bad. We got some stylish, borderline well made furniture for a reasonable price – until you factor in that I have to put it together. It’s a pretty cool store with a great setup. It might be MJ’s favorite place on Earth, with the possible exception of Disney. If Orlando wasn’t such a corn-flecked turd floating in a punch bowl we’d probably move there. If you haven’t been to an Ikea it’s like a Levitz (RIP) on steroids with a European feel. All their stuff has Swedish names with lots of umlauts so it must be the best. It also has two places to eat – aka how they got LJ to come along. It has a cafeteria that serves authentic Swedish fare and a glorified hot dog stand with 50 cent hot dogs and dollar cinnamon buns the size of car tires. We were in a hurry so I didn’t get to spend all $10 I had planned to spend at the hot dog stand. I only got two dogs, so the trip was a failure from my perspective. I brought some Zantac, some Pepto-Bismol, a pipe cleaner, and a bucket in case I needed some help finishing my allotted twenty franks. They’re not crap hot dogs either; they’re stadium quality. You’d pay $13 at a ballpark for something similar, and I was getting them for 50 cents a piece. It’s obvious why I was excited. MJ went for the furniture. I don’t need furniture. I’ve got furniture. I was going for the nitrates and a stomach ache. I got very little of one and not a hint of the other.

5 comments:

MJ said...

You were such a great sport and then topped it off with a non-negative post. Bonus!

Just for the record, it was far too easy to persuade you with hot dogs. I'll file that under techniques to use again. I hope posting it here doesn't leave you vulnerable to manipulation by others.

EJG said...

Our first apartment and house on Long Island were furnished with Ikea stuff. The pieces had funny names like Huffenbooben and Jklork. I think you got 5% off if you were able to pronounce it correctly. J and I had some of our best fights trying to put the stuff together! I hope you tried the Swedish Meatballs with Loganberry sauce. Tasty!!!

EJG said...

Wait a minute. I just remembered (I think). Was it MJ who used to make road trips up to Atlanta's Ikea? If so... I'm sure she tried the meatballs already!

MJ said...

We have had them but ours are a little better due to my Swedish roots. Actually, LJ makes them and you've probably noticed that he's not Swedish. Our recipe is the best though.

It was too packed to eat at the real restaurant, hence all the hot dogs.

JSG said...

Loganberry dressing on them thar meatballs too!

Did you get any Daim candies? Skor bars on steriods with more frequent flier miles. Yum!