Saturday, December 8, 2007

I'm That Dad

We went to the middle school chorus Christmas performance at MJ’s church. We took LMJ to start the process of getting her acclimated to public events. She is an off the charts well behaved baby when she can stick to her schedule. She’s on a three hour cycle. She eats. She takes a nap lasting between thirty minutes and an hour. Then she plays for the rest of the three hours. The hungry and sleepy dovetail at about three hours fifteen minutes into crankiness. We knew this going into the concert so we sat on the outside edge of our pew to make it as easy as possible to exit the concert if and when she stopped enjoying the singing. The singing began at about seven thirty and LMJ made it to about five till eight. MJ handed her to me and I walked out silently. This is where the realization of self happened; where I learned something about myself that would have caused me a certain level of cognitive dissonance if I let it. A grandmother was carrying her grandson around the foyer trying to minimize the ruckus he was interested in causing. He was the same age as LMJ and was doing the same thing she was – deciding when cranky needed to move into rage. The two infants were acting the same. The two infants did not look the same. Her baby was ugly. I think it had to do with a lack of genetic diversity, but that’s not the point. The point is that I ran a gamut of emotions which started at SCOREBOARD, moved into pity, and ended with a twinge of guilt for shamelessly flaunting my beautiful baby. I was holding Nefertiti, Cleopatra, Helen of Troy. My baby’s face could launch a thousand ships and burn the topless towers of Ilium -- twice. This lady was holding Peyton Manning with no hair and no ability to read defenses. This is when I realized I was that parent, silently comparing every baby I see to my own and doing my best not to openly gloat. “Your baby sucks!” is not an appropriate comment anywhere; especially not at a Christmas concert in a church to someone you just met.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea, that would be especially bad since the baby was a relative of one of my students.

And, he still had the baby cuteness that all babies have.

You should tell us about the awkward conversation you had which left you thinking that one of my students was the mother.

Cora Spondence said...

I'm not a parent so I can bear the truth in these matters. There are ugly babies out there. They soon grow to have oddly interesting features and that's how we get character actors like Linda Hunt and Steve Buscemi. Without character actors, movies would have the casting arcs of soap operas and that is not good for the film industry.
I say revel in the knowledge that your baby is gorgeous and smart and well behaved because life is lived in the moment. You may now do the superior dance.

DiaBelo said...

I love it when parents come right out in the open with their prejudices.

It never ends, either. When my mother was in her dotage, she sported a bumper sticker on her Taurus - "my jack russell is smarter than your honor student."

JSG said...

Coupla issues for me.

1. Yes, she is gorgeous.
2. No, ethnic diversity isn't a necessity for a gorgeous baby. We have one, and I think IMG's parents may actually be related. Ancestors of ours were both tossed out of the same Russian village during pogrom-fest.
3. 25 minutes of middle school chorus music is plenty for anyone.

LJ said...

Ethnic diversity isn't the issue. Genetic diversity is. Things tend to get sloppy when relatives have to pull double duty.

She's my sister. She's my daughter. She's my daughter and my sister.