Tuesday, February 17, 2009

10x400 Interval Training

Well, that wasn’t too bad. I did a lot better than I thought I was going to do. I smashed my goal times by more than a minute in eight of the ten intervals, and my slowest interval was 57 seconds ahead of the goal. I don’t want to say that I cruised through the session today, but I outperformed my expectations. I don’t know if I did it right because a quarter mile is a very short distance. Technically, it’s a sprint, and I can tough my way through it. My pacing was pretty consistent. The only real outlier was the very first interval. After that my body figured out what was going on and tried to put a stop to it. I do need to drop some pounds because my ankles, shins, and knees are a bit sore. I’m on course for my diet today and on schedule for my weight goal for the Gate River Run though. My hamstrings held up great. The last interval training I did, which were longer intervals but there were fewer of them, killed my hamstrings, even though my pace was much faster today. I guess the stretching is working. I have a new flexibility goal for the end of the year. I want to be able to get into the lotus position without using my hands. This is a lofty – borderline ridiculous – goal because I’ve never been flexible and I’ve got big thighs. Even when I was ten years old running track I could barely put my hands flat on the ground without bending my knees. Now I’ve got to open up my hammys, my quads, my knees, and my hips. I’m going to be like Jean-Claude van Damme. I finished less than 90 minutes ago so maybe I’m still on a bit of a post exercise endorphin high, but I’m excited about my upcoming races. It’s either that or I’m glad that I don’t have to do interval training for another week.

3 comments:

JSG said...

Stretching is good. Not stretching is bad. Ask my quads, still sore from Sunday. Stretch, my friend, stretch! And Kudos on the "real" training.

EJG said...

I guess we'll be waving goodbye to you pretty early on during the Gate River Run. Oh well, at least you won't be hurting when your done.

MJ said...

I like the first line. I also like the Lotus goal. You can do it. When will Wii Stretch be coming out?