Friday, February 27, 2009

Moaning and Groaning and Whining and Complaining

This has been a banner week. I couldn’t breathe so I couldn’t run, and now I’m going to have a crappy time in the Ortega River Run tomorrow. It’s not that big a deal. I wasn’t going to win it, but I had set goals for myself. And to have those goals thwarted by microbes is frustrating. I now hope to finish this ridiculous race in under an hour, which should be effortless. But I haven’t run or done anything strenuous since last Thursday, so who the hell knows? Not to mention the distractions on the route. I’m going to run past a Chick-fil-A. I could make a right instead of a left just before the three mile marker and a bridge, and enjoy some chicken fried in peanut oil and a highly underrated milkshake. Another concern is starting out too fast. I always have a huge adrenaline surge at the start of a race. If I don’t pay attention to exactly what my body is telling me I could find myself crawling across the finish line. I don’t think I’m dumb enough to do anything that would force me into the back of the ambulance – I hope.

A woman in my office had her last day today. She was laid off. She’d been there forever. She didn’t really do anything and probably never should have been hired in the first place, but it’s weird when someone you work with is let go because of the depression – yeah, I said it. However, some other people should follow her. Nothing frustrates me more than when someone tries to do something extra, and in doing so fails to do their job.

Finally, I would like to give a big middle finger to UBS – the Swiss bank. For hundreds of years they actively profited by helping criminals hide money, proudly. But when the US government puts a little pressure on them they cave in and snitch. They’re a Swiss bank, and yes they make legitimate money here, but their bread and butter has been made by keeping people’s secrets. Tell the US Department of Justice to go f**k themselves, and shut down US operations or do some time. The snitching isn’t what really bothers me; it’s the delusion that they’re respected members of the business community. They’re willing to rat out people for tax evasion, but they don’t have a problem hoarding Nazi loot.

1 comment:

JSG said...

And it had been 24 hours since I read one of your uplifting posts!

You never know about the race. Maybe your body wanted you to chill, so it coated you with mucus. You'll pull off a 35 minute 5 mile race tomorrow.