Wednesday, February 4, 2009

I Don't Want To Be HERE!!!!

On Wednesdays the Y is jam packed with retards playing basketball, so I had to park a mile away, and it was freezing. I was wearing a sweatshirt and I was still cold. It was an inauspicious beginning. I almost dropped a 70lb. dumbbell on my foot. I was killing my shoulders and it was my last set of dumbbell presses. I was working at a fast pace today and my shoulders were really burning. I was trying to put the dumbbells back in the rack, but one didn’t make it. It made a whole bunch of noise as it clanged off another dumbbell and almost landed on the left foot of this dumbbell. Thank God I’m an athlete. I was pretty embarrassed, but it was tempered by the raging fire in my shoulders. Blood gets trapped in the shoulders because of the way they’re shaped. That’s why they grow so easily and burn so quickly when lifting. I was super setting today because I wanted to get out of the gym as quickly as possible, and shoulder day is easy anyway, so bumping up the intensity wasn’t going to kill me. After I dropped the dumbbell I ran around a shaking my arms to get the blood moving out of my shoulders. I looked like I was having a fit. Amp, short for Anthony, who is a trainer at the Y said, “We’ll call that a good set, but try not to break the mirrors”. They had the mirrors replaced on Monday – as in two days ago. I don’t think fixing a 90’x 8’ mirrored wall is something they want to do every two days. I’d want to pay for it even less. I finished my weight training, and moved on to my cardio training. The elliptical is getting easy and I’m probably going to have to bump up the resistance next week. I got through the hour and rushed out. I don’t know why I was in a rush. The most time I would have saved would have been two minutes. I live two miles from the gym. In my rush I didn’t put my sweatshirt back on, and stepped out into forty degree weather with swirling winds, in a soaking wet t-shirt. It’s a miracle I didn’t get pneumonia on the way back to my car. Strangely enough I consider workouts like these the good ones. I didn’t want to be there, but I struggled through and finished. Anyone can exercise when they want to.

2 comments:

JSG said...

That's exactly why we run at 5AM. Daylight is for sissies.

MJ said...

This post reminds me why we don't work out together. I prefer more anonymity when I work out and being associated with the big crazy guy ruins that a bit. :) Glad you're getting in your workouts though.