Wednesday, March 4, 2009

The Good Ole Boy Network At Work

Holy mother of fracking Christ. We’re moving. I cannot in good conscience raise a child in a place where the local newspaper’s website is a troll board and nothing else. There’s an article in today’s Times-Union about a music teacher in Clay county whose job was saved by a populist uprising. Read the comments, read them. I happen to know this music teacher and the sewage in the comment section is mind boggling. Why would people take the time to write this crap? I guess the problem is that I’m closer to this situation than I am to most other situations in the paper. For example, the same level of douchery and retardation is present in the comments on the article about the cop who killed a guy while racing down the road at 98 miles an hour with his bubblegum lights off to, allegedly, catch another guy whose window tint was too dark at 1 o’clock in the morning, while ignoring a non-injury hit and run he had been assigned to. There’s not a single well thought comment on that story but I’m insulated because of an emotional detachment. But with the music teacher I’m stuck in the port-o-potty and it’s noon during August in Jacksonville. I can’t ignore the stench. My favorite comment is about the good ole boy network at work again. Metro Jax has just over a million people. I doubt there are five people who are less a part of the good ole boy network than the music teacher. Hank Azaria’s character in The Bird Cage would have more pull with the good ole boy network than the music teacher (everybody have fun with the puns. I left that meatball spinning out over home plate on purpose). My second favorite comment is about not letting the NAACP know about it. What does that mean? What is the goal of writing that? I know for a certainty and a truth that all of these people, with the exception of the former student, are talking out of their asses. And they’re doing it badly. My personal connection to this story has ruined my amusement of the Old Testament, wrath of God level stupidity of the comments on my local newspaper’s website. It got too real.

Congratulations Music Teacher, even though the only reason you get to keep your job is because you’re probably a member of First Baptist.

6 comments:

JSG said...

Don't make me read the comments. Don't make me read them.

EJG said...

A blog about a Jacksonville.com story about ME! And you reference the port-potty. I'm in heaven!

Christina said...

You could always move to Wichita! It is much more affordable!!! The Good Ole Boy Network is at a minimum here and for the most part, people are "intelligent" Oh, and LMG could enjoy snow in the safty of her own front yard.

Christina said...

You could always move to Wichita! It is much more affordable!!! The Good Ole Boy Network is at a minimum here and for the most part, people are "intelligent" Oh, and LMG could enjoy snow in the safty of her own front yard.

Anonymous said...

Anyone who reads the "rants and raves" in the Jacksonville Fish Wrap deserves what happens to them. I am not cetain that anyone should read anything in the Fish Wrap beyond the comics, the obituaries and the wedding notices.

JSG said...

Jacksonville fish wrap!! I see from whence the blogger derives his soft touch and gentle use of the language LOL!