Thursday, March 26, 2009

Ohhhhh, It Aint My Fault - Silkk Da Shocker

I had already posted yesterday when I read Jake DeSantis’s resignation in the New York Times. I ran through a gamut of emotions, from anger to contempt to disbelief and I came to the realization that these guys really do live in a completely different world. What a total disconnect. He had to have known about the workers all over the country taking pay cuts, and the people not in his industry, let alone his company, who lost their jobs because of his colleagues. He’s sad because he was asked to give back a bonus. He figures that since his department wasn’t directly associated with the department that drove the company into the ground he is entitled to his bonus, even though I’m sure he’s benefited in years past from artificially propped up A.I.G. stock prices created by the department he had nothing to do with. He sounds like a spoiled child, “I know I was standing there when Billy burned the house down, but why does that mean I don’t get a new bike? You promised!” I wish he could take a step back from himself and think about how he would react if one of his kids acted like he’s acting. He still had a job thanks to the US government. A job that was funded by the American taxpayer. You’re on a lifeboat jackass, and you’re complaining about the accommodations. I know a few guys like this. Guys so wrapped up in their own little worlds that they really don’t know that there are other people, and that these people aren’t interested in what these guys think they’re owed. It’s not really callous disregard. I honestly believe it’s ignorance. I doubt DeSantis talks to ten people a year about something other than finance. He’s Marie Antoinette. We all know what happened to her, and while I don’t think DeSantis should be summarily beheaded, I do think some violence is in order. Here’s my proposition: any and every A.I.G. employee will have an opportunity to earn his or her bonus, and so will veterans of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. If Mr. DeSantis can best Sgt. College Is Going To Be Fun With 700+ Grand After Taxes in single combat then he can keep his bonus. If not, he can tap out, and go about his business. Sometimes, in life, we have to fight for what we believe is ours. How bad do you want your bonus, Jake?

2 comments:

JSG said...

Maybe fighting the police officers working their unpaid days off would join the battle? Or the first responder fire fighters who gross $40K per year on average. Maybe you should just bring on the teachers who've enjoyed 3-5% pay raises in good years. We'll take care of the ignorance issue.

Anonymous said...

Heh there's a lot of good commentary being written about it. Essentially, you're spot on.

I do think this whole AIG bonus fiasco is totally a distraction from the real culprits, they offer us Jake DeSantis and we leave the rest of them alone. I wonder if it'll work.