Wednesday, March 25, 2009

There Weren't Even Any Hot Chicks To Impress.

I was not looking forward to today. I’d found ways to put off getting reacquainted with deadlifts for almost two weeks, and I ran out of excuses this morning. If you’ve read this blog for any length of time, then you know that I’m not very smart when it comes to lifting weights. I did nothing at the gym this morning to change that. My thinking is why should I ease back into a weight routine since I’m going to be sore for the next few days no matter what I do. I may as well push it as hard as I can. That’s what I did this morning. Heavy deadlifts are the key to everything when it comes to lifting. They work every muscle on the back of the body from where the shoulders go into the neck down to the knees, and since the entire body is working the poundage can get pretty high. Fortunately, I have some basic safeguards pre programmed into my tiny little brain. The first and foremost is that when tequila becomes a good idea it’s time to stop drinking. I’m sure that this rule has not only saved my life, but also kept me out of jail. The second rule is that there is no reason to pack more than 405 lbs. on the bar, ever. My back was rested because I haven’t blasted it in a month, and thanks to my nap yesterday I was full of energy. That’s the perfect storm for me to do stupid stuff, but I’m happy to say that I remembered rule number two. Heavy deadlifts push all the blood in the body into places it doesn’t want to go, and if they’re done correctly there’s an almost out of body experience when I’m finished. I wasn’t getting that this morning even though I’d reached the magic weight limit. I started to rationalize that it’s not that much weight, that the world record is almost two and a half times as much, that it’s just an arbitrary number I’d selected, and I should pack another fifty lbs. on. If I hadn’t had to walk all the way across the gym to get a weight belt, I’d probably be in the hospital right now, but since I did it gave my brain a chance to remember that there’s no reason to over do it. I’m not in a powerlifting competition. I’m just a knucklehead trying to stay in shape. I think that’s true growth. Either that or my testosterone levels are dropping and I’m becoming a woman.

1 comment:

JSG said...

I did 12 REAL push-ups in a row today. 3 sets....


nevermind.