Saturday, March 28, 2009

Small Talk, Big Steps

We had an eventful Saturday. We went to breakfast at Panera and enjoyed it immensely. LMJ was incredibly well behaved. We also had a birthday party on the schedule for the twins of a former coworker of MJ’s. She’s a vice principal, which is weird for a couple of reasons. The first is that I’m older than she is. How am I older than a vice principal? The second is that she’s attractive. I thought that automatically disqualified a person from being a vice principal. The vice principals I had were too ugly for Lord of the Rings. I think it’s a good thing that she’s at a middle school because I honestly think she would have a problem at a high school. She’s not Halle Berry but she warrants a second look in passing. I remember a PE teacher who was a former volleyball player. She wasn’t particularly pretty, but she was tall and slender with long legs and wore shorts everyday and we were sixteen year old boys. She had a real needle to thread when dealing with us. This is neither here nor there. LMJ got a chance to go on her first sugar bender. It was an ice cream and cupcake party. She took it in moderation though. Her favorite part was the toy kitchen in the little girl’s room. It had a sink, an oven, and a microwave. We took her to the party so she could interact with other children and we could interact with other parents. MJ talked shop – SURPRISE. I’m not really interested in people. They tend to annoy me, especially when little boys between the ages of four and ten are running around near my baby girl. They’re destructive little monsters with no reverence for LMJ’s greatness. That attitude isn’t good for anyone, which is why we went to the party. I talked to the birthday children’s dad. He’s a bigger meathead than I am. He’s a personal trainer, so we talked about bodybuilding and getting older. LMJ is a trooper and had the best time at the party. She goes about her business, and isn’t intimidated by bigger kids, which makes me happy to no end. I would much rather teach her not to be a bully than to stand up to one. After the ice cream and the frosting on a cupcake we came home and the little girl took a nap. Mama had some corn chips. I had some beer. We’ll call this a good day.

2 comments:

MJ said...

I like the ending to this post. I had cheese with my corn chips.

For the record, on any post on which I don't comment, you can assume my comment is
a) I like this post. You're a funny writer.

b) You're weird. I'm not sure I want people to know I know you.

In many cases, choose a and b.

JSG said...

The day sounds perfect. You all were entertained and adequately "snacked." The little one must be feeling better?