Monday, April 6, 2009

The Cruel Tutelage of The Master Pai Mei


Last Tuesday I wrote about having to sit through a ridiculous training where I had PowerPoint slides read to me, and that I was surfing YouTube because I wouldn’t remember any of the training even if I did pay attention, and Lincoln was going to change it anyway. At 9:08 am EDT this morning, less than a week later, I got an email saying the whole system is being scrapped and we’re going back to the way it was. Man is it hard being right all the time – Rush Limbaugh and me. I made it to the gym this morning and the squats went about as I expected. My legs are mush. I didn’t even push it this morning. I was smart. I warmed up on the elliptical to get the blood going. I eased into my routine. And this is the part where I was smart, I allowed myself an extra minute between sets to let my legs figure out what was going on, and put a stop to it. I knew I would feel great at the beginning, and I did, but I also knew that if I wasn’t careful I’d wind up walking like Fred Sanford for the next week. Squats hit everything below the belly button, and running doesn’t stress the hamstrings the way squats do. They’re not really the goal of the exercise, but they have to get used to their support role or they’ll pop. Pulling a hammy is a good laxative or more precisely, it can be a good enema. The pain is at its full intensity instantly. It’s horrible, and there’s no way to take all of the pressure off your legs. I had finished a set and I was waiting the extra minute when I caught a twinge in the back of my leg. I was about to add another 90 lbs. to the bar. Instead, the party was over. I packed up my stuff, and nobody had to go to the hospital. I’m going to spend the rest of the day drinking water and gently stretching my legs in the desperate hope that I can avoid as much of the inevitable soreness as possible. Squats are a harsh mistress but I’m glad they’re back.

No comments: