Saturday, April 18, 2009

David Sedaris

Last night was date night for MJ and me. We went to see David Sedaris read his essays at the Florida Theatre. The show started at 8pm and we got downtown at 7:45 and without tickets. MJ dropped me off at the ticket booth and drove around looking for a parking spot. On my way into the box office a guy in his mid-forties asked me if I needed tickets. I told him that I did, I needed two, and he told me that he had two great seats that he would sell me for less than face value. I told him I didn’t have any cash on me, and unless he took Visa we’d have to find an ATM. For once working downtown paid off because I knew of a machine less than a block away. I told him I’d give him $50 for the tickets and he seemed a little disappointed, time was on my side because it was now 10 till 8 and he still had go hook up with his wife. Apparently, they had bought tickets months ago and forgot to invite any of their friends until last night, so he was a little bit stuck. He gave me the tickets. I gave him the $50. I didn’t realize how great the seats were. When I looked at the tickets closely on the walk back to the theatre I noticed they were $60 a piece and I just bought both of them for $50 total. I’m going to have to change my name to Marvelous Marvin Haggler. Get it? We were seated on the third or fourth row right next to this guy and his wife. We were closer to the stage than any other heterosexuals in the auditorium. The coolest part of the night was that David Sedaris read all new stuff. He didn’t read a single thing from any of his books. He read a couple of new essays and some entries from his diary. He signed books after the show, but we didn’t bring any books and we’re 78 years old. It was after 10pm by the time it ended, two hours past our bedtime, and we were missing the baby girl. We’ll definitely go see him again if he ever makes it back to Jacksonville

2 comments:

JSG said...

Shoulda' Coulda' Woulda'
How unfortunate to have to spend the evening sitting next to the guy you just screwed out of $70...

LJ said...

He and his wife were very nice. He was happy to get anything at all.