Monday, April 13, 2009

I Have A Brand New Favorite Show

I’ve never watched Mythbusters before, but I may have to start. I’m not sure what myth they were trying to bust, maybe that a car can’t actually be pounded flat, or maybe they just thought, “You know what would be fu**ing AWESOME?” Either way it lead to the most balls-out thing caught on film since the Manhattan Project. See, what they did was they put a compact car in front of a concrete wall and then fired a rocket propelled sled at it going the speed of sound. Okay, apparently there is – was – a misconception that if two tractor trailers collided head on they could crush a compact car so that it would be indistinguishable in the debris. I’ve never heard of this, but someone must have written in about it, and Jamie and Adam, the Mythbusters, called B.S. and decided to prove it. They smashed the two tractor trailers together, but the car wasn’t obliterated. It was FUBAR, but not obliterated. Obliterate is a great word that I don’t get to use as much as I’d like. Anyway, even though the “myth” was basically lying in a pool of its own blood, one of its legs was still moving, and we can’t have that. So Jamie and Adam got the nice folks at New Mexico Tech – not candy ass Cal Tech or M.I.T. - to set up their rocket sled just to make sure it’s not possible to lose a compact car in a tractor trailer collision. What they found out was that it is possible to pancake a compact car. All that’s has to be done is to smash a small car into a 25 ton steel reinforced concrete wall with a rocket sled traveling at 650 mph. I don’t know why a Slayer song wasn’t playing during the “demonstration”. Actually, I don’t know why they didn’t fly Slayer in to play live. They would have done it. This scene is what they’ve been trying to describe musically for twenty-five years.

3 comments:

MJ said...

Oddly light and enjoyable post. :)

JSG said...

Good information to have. I'll keep my compact car away from fast-moving rocket sleds.

The best Mythbusters are the ones when they take it on, personally, like the stun gun or get attacked by guard dogs.

EJG said...

Here's a myth to bust...

Past Vice Presidents can't be tried for crimes against the state and put away in a rat infested jail cell for the rest of their lives.

I would get expanded cable to watch that.