Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Battle Of Hastings Flu

We introduced LMJ to It’s The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown tonight, and I don’t know if it was a sign that I’m getting better or getting worse that I had some really strange thoughts. I was watching Snoopy sneak his way across the French countryside after he was shot down in his Sopwith Camel by the Red Baron and was noticing the realistic feel of the whole thing, or as realistic as two dimensional animation can get, which got me thinking about World War I and how brutal it was. This got me to thinking about how Eddie Izzard describes Europe as where the history comes from, which lead me to thinking about England and how It’s The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown was released in 1966, exactly 900 years after the Battle of Hastings where William the Conqueror upgraded his nickname and Frenchified England. It was the last time England was conquered by a foreign power, and the last time the French whipped anyone’s ass. I got excited because the thousand year anniversary will be 1066, but my hopes were immediately dashed when I did the math and realized I would be 95 years old and I most likely would have been dead for thirty years. Even if I’m not dead I don’t think I’ll be able to get to England, Normandy, or out of bed to celebrate with fine meats, cheeses, wines, beers, and whores. I looked over at my baby girl, who will only be 59 in October of 2066, and had the urge to tell her to keep herself fit so she can enjoy the festivities on the momentous occasion, like she’d be interested. I don’t know if I want her to be interested or not. On the one hand it’s where Old English – the language, not the malt liquor – started the transition into Middle English and it's therefore historic. On the other hand that’s some hardcore geek crap. She’s not English and it happened a thousand years ago. Like I said, I don’t know if my fever helped or hurt.

1 comment:

tainij said...

She's got English ancestors; that counts. How interesting that you were thinking about something as arcane as the Norman Conquest. Glad to have you here in my world.