Wednesday, October 7, 2009

A Step Back To Gain Momentum?

I didn’t sleep well last night and it screwed up my day. The alarm went off at 5:15. I turned it off, started the coffee, and went back to bed. I got up at 6:45 and didn’t feel any more rested. I dragged myself to work and was not very productive. Then I got an email saying that there would be no “domestic” water. I didn’t want to find out what that meant so I headed home and tried to work there. No dice. I sat at my computer staring and unable to focus. I wanted to go workout, but I couldn’t get myself up. It was so bad that when LMJ took her nap I joined her. I took a very good nap but it didn’t help. It’s 8pm as I write this and I’m ready to go to bed. I’m trying to listen to my body more. My new triathlon book says that I should take breaks when I feel I need to – just like every other piece of exercise literature ever written – and I’m trying to pay attention. I think when I try to push myself when I don’t feel up to it that I set myself back. At some point my body is going to quit or I’m going to injure myself. I’ve also adjusted my nutrition. I’m refueling like I’m supposed to and not dieting just to lose weight. It may slow my weight loss down in the short run, but it’s a lot better for my performance in the long run. I’m not broken down like I was last week, I just didn’t get enough sleep last night so I have to push my sessions back a day. No big deal. What’s funny – and frustrating – is that I continue to do things the hard way when it’s much more efficient to do them the right way the first time. I hope that lesson really is starting to sink in - this. Anyway, legs tomorrow.

1 comment:

JSG said...

Losing weight and gaining wisdom. Well done, sir.