Tuesday, October 20, 2009

I Didn't Know This Was In My Brain Until I Was Almost Done Writing It

I have absolutely nothing to write about. I didn’t get a chance to exercise. I was stuck in my office all day doing boring paperwork stuff. I think I need a new chair or a new desk or both. My neck is killing me because I look at my computer at a goofy angle in my office and I don’t think the cheap chair provides any support. I think the high point of my day, or at least the most exciting, was blowing a years worth of garbage out of my keyboard with one of those cans of air. I was kind of disappointed when I was done. I was definitely grossed out by all the crap that was stuck in the keyboard.

I had an interesting conversation with the company heavy hitter in the bathroom. He asked me how my year was going and I told him. I gave him some basic “how’s the weather” crap about the economy, some pseudo-positive drivel. The truth is that my production is about 15% less than it was last year and it’s frustrating. When I asked him how his year was going, he started bragging about hitting some bench marks that the company sets. He wasn’t patting himself on the back or trying to impress me. He was genuinely proud, which I found strange because he’s routinely hit these benchmarks by April for the last twenty years. His production is off about 60% from last year. He’s still making more money than anyone I know in real life, but income satisfaction is relative. At least it usually is. Then it hit me. He loves this s**t, every bit of it. A lot of his self worth is tied up in being a wealth manager ( that’s what we’re calling ourselves this week). He’s a really nice guy. I don’t want to make him seem shallow or superficial because he’s not. None of my self worth is tied up in my job. It made me think for a second.

I got home and saw the baby girl, and realized that this is where I’m emotionally invested. My loved ones are the only things that move me. I think about all the ridiculous crap that I do for MJ – and LMJ more and more – just because she asks me to, while I would find it a chore to call the fire department if my neighbor’s house was on fire. I only have so many rollover minutes and I can’t be dialing 9-1-1 willy nilly. Sometimes these things just need to burn. It’s good for the environment.

4 comments:

JSG said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JSG said...

You clean this up.
For a tough guy, you're pretty sentimental.

MJ said...

Don't think we don't notice cause we do. (Or at least I do.) LMJ will notice later.

tainij said...

You are emotionally invested where you should be. The return on investment from MJ and LMJ is far greater than you will find elsewhere.