Monday, October 12, 2009

Workout Progress

Columbus Day sucks. I hate half holidays. We either need to be on or we need to be off. Some stuff was open like the stock market. Some stuff was closed like the bond market. What kind of sense does that make? I couldn’t really get anything done. I was tired. I came home. I had some lunch, and I seriously thought about taking a nap. On one hand I wish I had. Naps rule. On the other hand I was able to get to the gym and get a quality session in, and since I burned a whole bunch of calories I was able to enjoy more spaghetti. I’m excited that I’m starting my third consecutive week of hitting it hard. This is where my body is used to the routine and the quality gains start. I’m also excited because I really didn’t want to go to the gym at all. Usually when I feel like that I have a sub par session, but I count it as extra because it very well could have been zero. Today however, I killed it. I didn’t even freak out about having to wait for a guy to finish screwing around in the squat rack so I could do my deadlifts. I did my pull-ups first, which I never do, and did the deads second. I used a weight belt because I’m serious about the safety first thing. I hate the weight belt with a purple passion. I can’t think of an accessory that’s more uncomfortable, but it makes sure my back is stable and I can continue to lift. I haven’t given in to the temptation to go super heavy just because I’m wearing it, which is a minor miracle. I doubt I would have gone heavy today, but there are days when I’m feeling it that I might do something dumb. I wore the wrong shoes – not paying attention – so I did the elliptical instead of running. There’s no reason to tear up my feet. Now all I have to do is figure out how to get some time in the pool and I’ll be ready for my first sprint distance triathlon.

No comments: