Monday, January 4, 2010

Goals Aren't Goals Until You Tell Someone

I got out the door this morning before 7am, and sweet wounded Jesus was it cold. I was smart enough to wear a sweatshirt but I didn’t wear any sweatpants. I was in the elements wearing shorts – from the back door to the car. My legs never get cold, but this morning it felt like I was being stabbed with 1000 little pins as soon as I stepped outside. I’ve changed my workout routine and almost completely eliminated lifting weights. Lifting weights hurts and I’m too old for that crap. I’ve replaced the weights with bodyweight resistance exercises like pull-ups, pushups, and sit-ups to go along with my swimming. I had a totally non-descript cardio session, and I’m happy that I don’t have anything interesting write about it. It means that it’s becoming part of my daily routine. Today is the fourth day of the year, and I’ve exercised three of the four days. I took yesterday off because I it was scheduled, and no injuries, no pain is the motto for this year. With that said, I am going to have to do some interval training soon, and interval training hurts. I need to get my speed up if I want to take ten minutes off my time from last year’s River Run. My goal is for my chip to read 1:33:32 or lower. That’s not out of this world, especially since my training is starting now. I’m also setting the 24th Annual Montoya BFAST Triathlon as my goal for my first sprint distance triathlon. That’s a ¼ mile ocean swim, a 13 mile bike ride, and a 3 mile run. I look at the site and think this thing would be cake. I click on the registration link and I get scared. That’s why I’m putting my goals out on the interwebs. The one I’m going to do is on July 10. It’s the third in a series and gives me the most time to conquer my fears. It’s f**kin’ go time. My swimming will be where it needs to be six months from now or I’m dying in the ocean.


Not counting the blog, I have three writing projects going. I’m writing a young adult lit novel, a crime novel, and some essays about my life. I don’t expect to finish all three right now. I only want to finish one, but I can’t decide which one I want to do. Instead of procrastinating about it, I figure I might as well work on all three and whichever one is going the best will get finished. It’s like literary Darwinism.

4 comments:

EJG said...

Nice use of "Sweet Wounded Jesus".

Good luck on your goals. My goal is to wave at you as you zoom on ahead at the River Run.

Beth said...

Awesome goals, LJ. I'm so glad you signed up for the triathlon. And good luck with the writing. I think 2010 will be a great year for you!

Cora Spondence said...

Sweet baby carrots! A triathlon! Those are some big honkin' goals you are carrying around.

JSG said...

2 triathalons! Writing and racing. Oy!