Sunday, January 31, 2010

Poor Baby Girl

The poor sweet sick baby girl didn’t sleep well last night. She had a fever and couldn’t get comfortable. We tried to keep things as low key as possible today to help her rest, which meant spending a lot of time in bed watching television. After a couple of hours of Sesame Street and Handy Manny I started to get antsy so we got up. We played in the play room like everything was fine. She cooked in her kitchen and played with her little people. I continued learning a bunch of Disney songs on the guitar. I swore I would never learn to play anything like the Disney songs, but having a daughter changes a man’s outlook. After about an hour MJ and I switched places. She watched the baby girl while I took a shower. I wasn’t even wet before MJ broke the baby I heard LMJ crying. She hit the cold/flu wall. She was out of energy. She slept for about forty-five minutes before her stuffy nose woke her up. Having a cold sucks and she’s got a bad one. She just couldn’t rest. The only positive about the day was that she was drinking a lot of fluids without complaint. We went back to playing and reading and watching television after her aborted nap, and trying to figure out what we wanted to do with the rest of the day. MJ still had a bunch of grading to do, but we wanted to enjoy the weekend as much as possible even though we had a sick toddler. Once again LMJ was bouncing around playing like nothing was wrong when she saw me watching basketball and asked if she could sit in my lap. We’ve watched basketball together since she showed up UPS on our doorstep almost three years ago. I was happy because it’s one of my favorite things to do. I expected her to sit still for about thirty seconds and then get back to whatever business she still had. It was a bittersweet moment when I heard her snoring. She was so tired, but it took me back to when she was a baby and used to fall asleep on me regularly and made me happy.

3 comments:

tainij said...

LJ had bouts of croup at that age and sent me into total panic. Obviously we both survived, but a sick child raises all of a parent's anxieties. Fortunately, when he got sick (except for his croupy cough) he just wanted to sleep. Of course, I couldn't.

Cora Spondence said...

Think how fortunate it will be to have this to share with LMJ when her toddler has a bad cold.

Beth said...

So sweet! I hope she feels better today.