Tuesday, January 5, 2010

TMI?

I got my stride analyzed by Brooks Rehab today. I run straight. I don’t overpronate or oversupinate. Dude went into a bunch of this and that and gave me a bunch of tl/dr. The only reason I went was to see if I could find more comfortable running shoes. I love my Nike Air Pegasuses (Pegasui? Pegasuori?). I never have knee or shin problems, but I get some really big blisters, despite the expensive shoes and expensive super thick socks. The Brooks dude and the 1st Place Sports dude were very helpful with their recommendations of trying a bunch of different running shoes (at $120 a pop) or trying some different types of blister band-aids, and that neither of these might work because a bunch of runners just have to deal with jacked up feet. Fortunately, the blisters turn into corns on top of my feet and calluses on the bottom. For example, right now I have a blister on the side of my left big toe that’s filled with blood. It’s under a pretty thick callus so it won’t burst, but at some point, probably after the River Run, I’ll attack it with cuticle scissors or something. By that time the blood will have dried up, and I won’t have to worry about making too big of a mess or getting an infection. I see it as a red badge of courage but I wouldn’t mind finding some shoes that didn’t rub my feet raw, especially since I’m going to have to start running much longer distances pretty soon. My current shoes are good for about six miles, but then I can start to feel my skin tearing away. Like I said, it’s not bad, but if I could stop it I’d be willing to, and I have no idea what it will be like when eight miles is my short day. I’m going to try the blister band-aids and see how they do. Tomorrow there’s a chance I’ll write about some anti-chaffing methods.

4 comments:

Beth said...

Hmmmm, not really motivating me to become a runner, LJ! But good luck with that. :-)

tainij said...

Try wearing nylon knee-hi stockings under your running socks. Moleskin might also help.

JSG said...

I should've known from the title. My fault for reading. Tomorrow can we look forward to hearing how you get bleeding boy boobs and prickly heat between the thighs? Love my body glide, thats' all I can say.

EJG said...

What we do to keep those feet on the pavement!