Friday, March 12, 2010

The Not So Calm Before The Storm

Run comfortably, run safely, have fun. That’s what I’m telling myself as we approach race time. I went to the fairgrounds to pick up my packet this afternoon and started getting all amped up and nervous, like I had a shot at winning this thing. I had to calm myself down. I had to remind myself that I can run this distance comfortably and that I can cruise and still beat my time from last year, but there is no chance of me finishing in the money so I shouldn’t sweat it. I looked up last year’s results and more than 300 people finished in less than an hour. I can finish in less than 90 minutes but it would take an effort. I don’t know if I want to do that. I pushed myself last year and absolutely hated the last three miles. I’m getting too old for that shit. 95 minutes is reasonable. It’s almost ten minutes faster than last year and it’s allowing the process to work. I’m out there to have fun and improve, so that’s the goal. The expo was exciting, which was part of the problem. There were tons of people, all excited to be there. There were vendors giving away a bunch of SWAG. The shirts this year are awesome. They’re not just cotton t-shirts like they’ve been in the past. They’re actual running shirts. They’re neon green, water wicking, multi-layered, Lycra and polyester t-shirts. I don’t know if Adidas gave them a break on the price or if they wanted everyone running to wear theirs during the race because it will look fantastic on television. I’m wearing mine. MJ is worried that if everyone does wear the same shirt she won’t be able to spot me running in time to get any good photos. I’m not worried because I always find them, and I don’t care so much about the pictures. I’m all ready. My bib is safety pinned to my shirt. My chip is on my shoe. All that’s left is a good night’s sleep and a good breakfast, and hopefully a 30 degree drop in the temperature.

No comments: