Thursday, March 18, 2010

Rough Exercise Week

I hadn’t exercised since my late recovery run on Sunday. I just couldn’t get my schedule situated. I forced in a short run this morning and I’m glad I did. I could already tell the difference. I’m not as fit as I was last week. The difference wasn’t huge and it was compounded by the heat – 60 degrees is not 40 degrees – but I struggled more than I thought I would. I’m going to try to fit in a long run this weekend, heat or no heat. I don’t want to slack off in my training just because I don’t have any races coming up in the near future. I’m thinking about entering some, maybe one a month, just so I have a carrot. I’m glad my new tracking software displays my weekly and monthly mileage a lot more prominently than my old software does. I’m still 90 seconds a mile faster than I was at this time last year and I haven’t put on any post race fat. I’m still losing weight despite not having a chance to exercise much this week. Looking at it from this glass half full perspective, I’ve managed this “slide” week pretty well. I’m still not acclimated to DST, but next week can’t be anywhere near as difficult as this week has been. Plus, my schedule isn’t as full next week. I don’t have a board meeting and I don’t have any pre-sunrise client meetings. There shouldn’t be anything standing in my way of getting to the gym next Monday morning. I think I might get my bike set up this weekend and start riding to the Y. They’ve got a bike rack. That way I can ease into cycling time, which I’m not really looking forward to. I’m afraid of the traffic, but people ride bikes all over the place so I might as well do the Nike thing. It’ll save gas if nothing else, and I’ll be able to look down my nose at all you size 15 carbon footprinters.

No comments: