Monday, March 1, 2010

Technical Difficulties

I’m not having a good year when it comes to my technology. I’ve written about my computer’s demise and having to use MJ’s abacus. I’ve written about my iPod dying. It’s just a dead battery but replacing the battery is as expensive as replacing the whole device. I got a Shuffle for Christmas, but that’s just a straight up scam by Apple. Microsoft takes unending ridicule for putting out subpar products and deservedly so, but the Shuffle is every bit as crappy as anything Microsoft puts out. I’ve had a series of problems with my Shuffle since day one. The earphones are poorly designed. The controls have never worked. After my bitching about it on here, EJG and JSG generously gave me an adapter that was good for about fifty miles, but unfortunately has fallen apart. I’m not Usain Bolt. I’m not fighting MMA. I run ten minute miles in sunny weather on flat ground. Why do I have to spend $100 on earphones just to be active? My newest gremlin is in my watch software. Garmin asked me to update the tracking program – which everyone in the running community says is worthless – only to have it stop working. I plug in my watch, my data – part of it anyway – transfers, I close the program, and I get an error message that tells me I need to email Garmin a bunch of technical tl/dr. All my data from the date of the update forward is erased for some reason when the program closes. If I can’t track my stuff then there’s no reason to do any of it. I emailed the crap they asked for last Thursday. I haven’t gotten a response from Garmin, not even an automated “we got your email” email, and my email tells me it went through. Nice customer service. It’s not like Garmin is some dude working out of his garage. They’re the personal GPS industry leader. If you have a GPS in your car, factory or after market, Garmin probably made it. Why don’t they know how their watch works? Can the apocalypse hurry up and get here so I won’t have to deal with any of this anymore, please?

No comments: