Monday, March 8, 2010

Persephone Has Left Hades

It’s March 8th and it’s the first day of spring – and my Ma’s birthday. I love the change of seasons. I can always tell when the seasons actually change, as opposed to unseasonably cold or warm weather, because there are new smells in the air. I walked out of the YMCA after my workout and could tell it was spring. No one is going to miss the winter we just had. It was way too cold for way too long. I wouldn’t mind if the weather was like this every day, clear and in the 40’s for a good morning run and in the 60’s by noon. If the weather is like this next Saturday, that’ll be great. I think it was overcast and a little warm for last year’s River Run. I ran three miles this morning just to keep the blood flowing, but I struggled more than I thought I would. That’s what happens when assume things. I don’t know why I didn’t run particularly well, which is a problem. It might have been because I’m fighting off the family cold, because I didn’t warm up properly, because the temperature spiked a little bit, or I assumed it was going to be easy. Running is never easy. I thought about pushing myself and doing an extra couple of miles since I have all week to recover, but I’m trying to let discretion be the better part of valor. I’m proud of myself for just dealing with my “bad” performance. It’s only bad because my brain tells me so. I got my work in. I didn’t hurt myself. It’s time to move on to tomorrow. I made a whole bunch of mistakes during the week preceding last year’s race, and I don’t want to repeat them. I’m not changing up my training or my diet. I’m sticking to the schedule, which has worked great, and I’m expecting good results Saturday.

No comments: