Sunday, August 30, 2009

All I Need Are Some Tasty Waves, A Cool Buzz, and I'm Fine

We started today celebrating CG’s birthday with blueberry pancakes and turkey sausage. What’s funny is that I’m the only one who won’t buy turkey sausage, but I’m also the only one that will eat it. After breakfast we went to the Towne Center for the, bar none, most unsuccessful shopping trip ever. MJ needed some school supplies, some new clothes, and some new shoes. We went to Target, Staples, JoAnn’s, DSW, and Talbot’s. Nothing was bought. No commerce took place. However, we did have family fun time for just the cost of gas so it was worth it. We got home, LMJ had some lunch, and then it was nap time – at least for two of us. MJ took the opportunity to go to Starbucks to grade some papers. She was required to give her students a timed writing this first week of school and she doesn’t want to get behind. I can totally understand that. Unfortunately for my parents, LMJ and I slept through their phone call, and they were stuck at European Street drinking beer. Oh the horror. Fortunately, I woke up before they headed back to Orange Park, and they were able to come hang out with their granddaughter and get introduced to the wonder that is the Backyardigans. After the visit, we headed east. I’m starting to dread when it gets too cold and too dark too early to make an afternoon trip to the beach practical. The fact that EJG and JSG are starting to catch the bug isn’t making it any easier. We stayed late tonight, well after sunset, and enjoyed every moment of it. I really did not want to leave. My mom wondered if living at the beach would take away a lot of the joy of being at the beach. If it would just become something we would take for granted. She wondered this because we were talking about living at the beach while she was visiting this afternoon. I think this is starting to become an obsession with me, but I know that if I had a place at the beach I would not have a job – at least not the job I have now. I could see myself becoming Jeff Spicoli and being fine with it.

2 comments:

JSG said...

Let's find a duplex and be done with it.

tainij said...

I deliberately and consciously did not settle at the beach when we first moved to Florida because I knew that I could never go to work or anyplace else if I had sand and surf in my backyard ( or front yard). I love the beach when it is hot and sunny almost as much as I love it when it is cold and rainy. For some people, living at the beach is just not an option.