Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I'm Overthinking This Aren't I?

LMJ has been introduced to The Jungle Book – Disney’s version not Kipling’s. I think we’ll wait until she’s about five or six for the book. She loves the movie even though there a couple parts that scare her. Since she’s watching it, I’m watching it, and even though it’s my favorite Disney movie, I’m starting to pick it apart. I didn’t want to but my brain didn’t ask me. I don’t have a problem with Mowgli being raised by wolves or the whole pack bitching out because one tiger happens to be back in the neighborhood. The problem I have, that gets my mind spinning, is with the ages of everyone involved. They find Mowgli when he’s a baby and skip ahead to when he’s about to hit puberty. I assume he’s about to hit puberty because he’s mesmerized by a girl getting water and completely forgets about how much he loves his jungle life. Man does that hit home? If Mowgli is ten, which is as young as can be plausible, that means Bagheera and Shere Khan are at least ten, and ten year old jungle cats are old. Some other panther and some other tiger would have most likely solved everyone’s problems along the way. It’s the circle of life. His wolf brothers are still puppies, when in reality they reach adulthood in a little over a year. I don’t have a problem with a wolf nursing him, milk is milk, and we’re all one big happy mammalian family, but when the litter moves to solid food he’s going to have to start licking his wolf mother’s face so she’ll vomit meat in his mouth. Also, wolves’ stomachs are filled with battery acid for all intents and purposes. They scavenge as much as they hunt, and I don’t think Mowgli’s digestive system is up for carrion. Rotten meat tends to kill humans. Does Mowgli mark his territory in the traditional canine fashion? Male humans can’t just start and stop, it stings. These thoughts are just the tip of the iceberg. I won’t get into the jungle bugs and his exposed skin. I have to go douse myself in deet just thinking about it.

1 comment:

MJ said...

Answer to your question: yes. I thought you'd go in another direction, like the language thing. But this was interesting too.