Monday, August 10, 2009

Riding In The Noon Day Sun

My ankle is sore for some reason. I think it may be the start of arthritis. I destroyed my ankles playing basketball when I was a teenager and never got them looked at. They felt fine to me. I could dunk. I didn’t care if they were shaped funny. At the time I thought all my ankle injuries were sprains, but now I think I broke each of them at least once because there seems to be some calcification. Oh well. Since my ankle is sore I went for another bike ride. In addition to being easier on my legs and feet, I thought that since I could coast and would be moving more quickly the heat wouldn’t affect me as much as it does when I run. It didn’t affect me as much but I was still sucking in 92 degree air. I didn’t feel like worrying about my heart rate so I hauled ass up to the Roosevelt Publix and back as fast I could. I didn’t plan it that way when I chose to ride instead of going to the Y. I rode six and a half miles in twenty-four minutes and change. I was impressed since I got stuck for about a minute at stop lights and signs. I think the bumped up speed and corresponding danger make riding more fun and exciting than running. I cut the ride short because we’re going to My Gym with LMJ tonight and I don’t want my thighs burning too badly during the warm up. I didn’t burn as many calories as I wanted to but time was short and I’m ahead of schedule on my weight loss. I’m going to add running back in to the program when I’m under 220lbs., and speed work when I’m under 190. If my ankles cooperate and get with the program I’ll be very happy. If they don’t, f**k ‘em. Ibuprofen is cheap.

2 comments:

tainij said...

How unusual: a bicyclist who stops for red lights and stop signs. Thank you. I have not seen such a miracle in a very long time.

JSG said...

Didn't realize that My Gym was your gym too. Worried about burning at the warm-up there? For real?